Friday, October 14, 2011

Teenage Years


Over the years I have heard parents lament over the fact that they are in the dreaded teenage years.  Honestly I can say we are enjoying these years.  My children are 16, 13 and11.  Every stage of life has been a joy and new experience.  I loved when they were little and each experience brought awe and wonder.  I loved their kindergarten drawings and adoration for mama.  I love seeing them make friends and develop independence and a sense of who they are in the preteen years.  And now I love this transition of teen to adult.  Don't get me wrong.  In a few years when its time for Brittany to leave home I will need a box or two of tissues.  I am not pushing her out of the nest but this time is also precious to me.  We are developing a friendship I know will last for the next forty to fifty years.  I was as excited as she was for her first date.  All the wonderful experiences of a teen becoming an adult rushed back to me when I saw her beaming.  I am so blessed to be a part of this journey with her.  I want to be here waiting as she peers over the nest into the unknown world and hold my arms open to welcome her back when her heart is broken.  And we all know it will be broken.  I am a proud mama of my children.  I don't get to hold their hand walking across the street anymore or rock them in the early morning but we are going fishing, camping, vacationing, sharing and loving just the same.  I hope you enjoy the teenage years as much as I am.

1 comment:

  1. This was so beautiful to read, Michelle. Sweet and bittersweet at the same time. What a lovely young lady- just like her Mom.:) Lori

    ReplyDelete